Sunday 29 April 2012

Road Kill

My comfort zone is always to work with drawing materials - pencils, pastels, pens. All my artwork, including my Subconscious Musings, invariably begin with these implements.

Currently, however, I am choosing to start directly with paint and only adding the linear to finish the painting:

"Road Kill". Mixed media on canvas, 50x70cm.

This for me is relevatory and exciting. Instead of the over-reliance on making drawings first, which I then colour in, this way of working has a far greater freedom to produce images that start from the abstract and build, layer upon layer, to become something new. Nothing is planned, it comes about intuitively.

The title, of course, comes from recognising some reality in amongst the abstract.

2 comments:

Sheila Vaughan said...

Hi David, yep, it's a weird "to do" as we say up north. Can't kind of shake it off you know. You think "Ah, I'm better now" but in fact we're not. And we won't be. And that's how it will always be I think. Trying new ways to say the same thing - do accomplish the same thing.

daviddrawsandpaints said...

Not sure that I fully understand your meaning, Sheila. I thought I was trying new ways to say new things.

Anyways, I'll just soldier on and perhaps surprise myself.