Friday 27 April 2012

Downtown

I have changed my way of painting. It's what I have been working on for the past year I suppose, but certainly since the turn of this year.

Generally it's a shift from trying to create a "proper" drawing and transferring that onto the canvas or board  then filling in the colour areas - a bit like painting with numbers which is what I was doing unsatisfactorily.

Now the idea is to build up a whole series of underpainted layers and, like my Subconscious Musings, respond intuitively and let the painting give me the direction it wants to take. This painting was not planned...it just happened. In the development of it I began to 'see' how it could be and began to emphasise those elements:

Mixed media on canvas, 55x110cm.

The one thing it does require is a certain fearlessness or confidence that it will all turn out right in the end.


No comments: