Sunday 18 May 2008

Sunloungers

Hola! Here I am back again from my sojourn in the Balearics with an all-over sun-tan and empty pockets! My one week in Puerta Pollensa, northern Majorca, was brilliant but certainly not long enough. By midweek I was just getting settled into a more relaxed, warmer, way of life, strolling around in open-toed sandals and shorts all day long, when it rushed to an early end far too quickly. Still, after a slow start, I did get some pastel drawings done starting with these two looking down on the apartments pool: I could dive straight in with a backwards triple somersault - if I only had the nerve!

Pastel on ingres paper, 22x15cm: "Poolside Lounger"; it looks inviting, doesn't it - after the heat of the day, hot and sweating from laying about in the sun, to plunge into a clear blue private pool, swim a few dozen lengths, then back upstairs to my little balcony and a couple of copas di vino blanco to salute and say farewell to the setting sun.

Pastels on ingres paper, 22x15cm: "Our Poolside Partners"; With occasional shade from overhanging palm leaves these two blue loungers became our part-time welcoming companions later in the afternoon after fine days walking in the surrounding countryside or along the esplanade looking for a nice restaurante for lunch, or visiting nearby towns and villages using the excellent public busses. You need somewhere to rest your weary limbs and not too far from the pool to re-invigorate your muscles before the sun dips over the yard-arm. Then it's time for cocktails!

This small painting can be purchased in my shop at Etsy: http://davidcornelius.etsy.com/

No comments: