Wednesday 16 January 2013

Yellow

I'm not very good at imagining real settings for my figures since they are mostly created from small sketches, usually in an A6 sketchbook, without any surrounding space. I therefore tend to paint either nondescript backgrounds or invented abstract shapes. In this instance, however, my Subconscious Musing from the previous day was still fixed to the wall having just been photographed and, after a couple of painted studies of me wearing this bright canary yellow sweater and necktie I finally made the connection and decided on the Musing as background:

"Self Portrait in Yellow", acrylics on paper, 59x43cm.

I think there is great potential in this since, instead of a "manufactured" background out of thin air, what better combination than my very own images. What could be a more personal expression than that?

This is the original Subconscious Musing drawn in charcoal and pastels:

"5 October 2012", pastels on sugar-paper, 59x86cm.

And here are the two other painted studies:

"My Favourite Yellow Sweater", acrylics on paper, 59x43cm.

"Yellow-Knitted Necktie", acrylics on paper, 59x43cm.

I try to make an effort sometimes especially when we go out somewhere. It makes a change from being covered head to foot in paint-splashed zipper-jacket, dungarees, and sannies!

No comments: