Monday 1 November 2010

Degas Devotions

I am writing this post in response to a new artist I have just met in Bloggerland, degasblog, and our common interest in the art of Edgar Degas, and also in ballet dance.

Myra_plus_paint_plus_degas (as she is otherwise known) and I share a mutual enjoyment not only of looking at Degas's work but also of making studies of his drawings and paintings, in particular those of the ballet dancers, always hoping to learn and hopefully have some of his magical ability rub off.

For me it's his pastel drawings that attract my greatest interest - the quality of his figure drawings and the pastel techniques that I love so much.

We are very fortunate here in the West of Scotland to have some terrific works exhibited in our Burrell Museum and Gallery in Pollock Park where I frequently spend many hours visiting. And, of course, making my own studies:

"The Green Dress".

"Behind the Scenes".

I have also tried my hand at painting in the same style in oils:

"The Rehersal Room".

and:

"Taking a Break Behind the Scenes".

As those of you who have been visiting this blog for a while will know whenever I attend any live performance I always make my own sketch impressions of the action and about two years ago made a series of sketches from Scottish Ballet production of Sleeping Beauty. These, along with sketches from Les Ballets Trocadero de Monte Carlo, were later to form the basis of five paintings done in February last year for Project 2 of my painting Course.

Now, I haven't made this posting in order to brag about anything I have managed to do but more as a conversation piece and sharing of artistic pleasures. And it has also given me a happy opportunity to look back again at stuff I have done and wonder anew as to how on earth it all came about!

4 comments:

myra anderson said...

what a thrill! i'm laughing out loud! i love all of your sketches and drawings! i really loved seeing your degas drawings as well!

Andriques said...

Degas was a totally fantastic artist. good post!

daviddrawsandpaints said...

Thanks Myra, glad you enjoyed it :o)

daviddrawsandpaints said...

Hi Andrea, glad you enjoyed the post as well :o)))