Saturday 10 March 2012

Drawing from Life

In order to move forward I am having to go backwards, to pick up some drawing materials and start drawing again. I don't go to Life Drawing Group any more because it's too far away and I find the effort too much, so if I can't go there then I'll bring it on home to here. And who should I get to model for my but my darling wife. But nudity there will not be. The contract conditions for this modelling job are: i) with clothes on,  ii) regular coffee breaks, and iii) a tube of 'Smarties' every week. Who says I'm not willing to splash out for my art?

First one is a bit tentative as I explore which end is up:

Drawing #1, Charcoal on paper, 43x59cm.
Second one is still a bit of a struggle:

Drawing #2, Charcoal on paper, 43x59cm.
Third one is begining to get into the swing of it:

Drawing #3 "Mrs Roly Poly": Charcoal on paper, 43x59cm.
(She's really too auld to be doing this sorta thing!)

Fourth is now getting a bit gallus with the felt pen:

Drawing #4, Felt-tip pen on paper, 43x59cm.

Drawing five with a bit of colour to her cheeks:

Drawing #5, Felt-tip pen and pastels on paper, 43x59cm.

 And finally, a bit of light reading to keep the interest going:

Drawing #6, Felt-tip pen on paper, 43x59cm.

All this done to the gentle sounds of Karen Carpenter and her brother Richard, a favourite LP from our shared past [Carpenters, The Singles, 1969 - 1973].

And if yous could all remind me not to forget the 'Smarties' I would be obliged or "Friday Life Drawing" will be a one off occassion!

3 comments:

Lisa Le Quelenec said...

David David David... (shakes head)you were doing so well until you got to comments on drawing #3 it'll take more than a tube of smarties now - too auld indeed! You'd better be giving up your last rolo. ;o)

It hasn't taken you long to get back into the swing of life drawing. There's some great stuff going on here. I particularly like the pastel mixed with the pen. I'll look forward to more next week.

daviddrawsandpaints said...

Lisa Lisa Lisa(shakes his head in a sorry fashion) do you realise just how much you have been taken in by the absurdities of My World? Now you are giving me advice on how to survive in a long-term relationship by the sneaky bribary of chocolate covered toffees. You're right - it works a treat (I learned that one a long time ago!)

Thanks a lot for commenting, Lisa. I very much hope to be able to show more next week if I have any Rolos left :o)

Melinda said...

Ha! These are fantastic! You have not lost anything in taking a break. Have you been drawing in your sleep? These are excellent.

Your lovely wife is wonderful for posing. Goodness! She has done a magnificent job.

Stock up on the treats and be very, very nice, because this is so working.