Sunday 1 March 2009

First Album

I must be off my head - this has taken me just about all day to assemble but I'm sure you'll a' think it's worth it and be clamouring for copies!

And it is Melanie at My Croft that's all to blame. You see I was checking to see if she was back blogging again and sure enough there she was, the wee lamb, blethering away about this fabby new Blogger-Land game she herself was caught up in and I thought it was brilliant too!

The game is to follow a set of instructions and randomly come up with the name of your band, the title of your first album, and the cover artwork. This is doing the rounds so I'll give a mention to those from whence it apparently has come:
66squarefeet
Secretnotebookswildpages , and
moreidlethoughts


And here are the instructions:
To create your own band name and album cover, follow these easy instructions from m. heart:
1. Click wikipedia. The first random article you get is the name of your band.

2. Click quotations. The last four or five words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album.
3. Click flicker. Third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.
4. Use Photoshop (or similar) to put it all together.

Anyway, here's my take on it:

"Emotions are Violent" by Danskammer.



Danskammer Point Light is, of course, a lighthouse sitting out on some exposed coastal headland near New York (I'm sure you know it well Melanie?), and the quote comes from W.Somerset Maugham - "When you're eighteen your emotions are violent but they're not durable".

And the excellent photo of a lovely lassie is by Stink Poop on Flickr.

I thought the three parts came together rather well with the Scandanavian name, the coldly lit girl, and the raw emotional tag.

Anyway if all of that hasn't made you weep yet, then this will: My first track on the album will be "La Campursita" by Gerardo Matos Rodriguez, played deftly on an A+ Moon mandolin by that Plucky Plectrum all the way from East Kilbride -
yours truly, "Wee Davey Twangathon" :




[standing ovation and thunderous applause]

Thank you, thank you, thank you, don't throw flowers, just throw money!

8 comments:

Andriques said...

Can I throw my knickers??!

Great stuff man, BRAVO!!!!!

Melinda said...

BRAVO!!!!!!! BRAVO!!!!!BRAVO!!!!!!!!

Wee Davey Twangathon
of
DANSKAMMER

You are the master of the mandolin.
And your album cover is the best!!!

You are so brave to perform for us. I only wish I had a beer to offer you. Just picture instead thunderous applause from a happy heart having heard the dulcet sounds of your lovely mandolin.

When will you sell the CD? Shall I include my credit card number here? I would like two copies please....Thank you.

daviddrawsandpaints said...

You certainly can Andrea, as long as there's money in your knicker pocket :o)

Aw shucks, a' this adulation has gone right tae ma heid!

But I would wait, Melinda, to hear a bit more of this album before you start throwing your money around!

And I'm under no illusions about the standard of my playing. Let's just say I don't think I'm about to appear any time soon with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra!

my croft said...

Bravo, most brave one! Some margin of musicality is necessary for the endeavor -- which is why there will be NO videos of me warbling anywhere on the imperishable interwebs. Not no way, not no how. But it is a fun game, innit? And it only took me three full evenings to pull it together.

The Danskammer Point light is about an hour north of here. Reportedly it has a "fog bell with striking machinery" so it sounds like it's worth a trip once all danger of frost has passed.

Also reportedly, "danskammer" is a Durch phrase meaning something like "devil's dancehall" which is what came to the mind of a settler whilst watching a Native American ceremonial dance. So in the spirit of the thing, I'll have to knot you a belt of wampum, the aboriginal currency, and send it along as payment for your album. And I expect that I'll finish the belt at roughly the same time that you finish the recordings. ;-)

daviddrawsandpaints said...

You would think, Melanie, that I would choose a tune I could actually play, wouldn't you, instead of one that I have only started learning this week!

And don't think I know that "brave" is a euphemism for extremely foolhardy :o)

"Devils Dancehall" sounds interesting, but, as I advised Melinda, you would be much better advised to wait until you have heard the other tracks on this album before you throw money, or even wampum, at it!

Anonymous said...

Th' Laird Haggis is moonlightin' as Wee Davey Twangathon? Wha'd a tho'ht it, eh?
An, now that Ah've cleared off the piano mebbe we could arrange a duet?
Actually, I really like the 3 elements you "drew" in this game of chance. I couldn't improve my lot even by cheating! Maybe I'll try again.

daviddrawsandpaints said...

Hi Dinah - just call me "Lucky Wee Davey Twangathon", with my band and album choices!

It's no easy talkin' like a bog-wallowing teuchter fer verry long, is it? But good on ye fer tryin'.

A duet sounds a guid idea and we could get Melanie to sing as well and make it a trio and ca' oorsels "The Three Tumshie Stompers" or something more erudite (fave word of the moment):o)

Umā said...

excellent! i visited here after you commented on my album post but didn't leave a comment because i was at work at the time ;) but this is fantastic. thanks for visiting me!